Q: How do I Wash Kimono Silk?
How to Care for a Silk Shirt?
Washing silk Hawaiian shirt and silk kimono fabrics are not as simple as other fabrics.
So, here is the Silk Shirt and Kimono Care Instruction.
Actually, this is not only for vintage Kimono. For any kind of silk, you better be careful not to get a stain in the first place. And better to store it in a dry place out of direct sunlight. If you just want to simply freshen up your silk outfit or fabric, then hang it outside on a dry, breezy day, but away from direct sunlight. You can repeat for as many consecutive days if it is necessary. This process helps remove creases as well.
DISCLAIMER: The correct care for silk fabric, including Aloha shirt and Kimono, is dry cleaning, especially for the vintage clothes. But if you want to wash them at home, it must be hand washing. These instructions below might help, but please be aware that in following them, you do so at your own risk.
Silk Outfit Care Tips
Q: How to wash a vintage silk kimono or Hawaiian shirt?
A: Here is the Step-by-step Instruction How to Hand Wash Silk.
- Add a few drops of detergent for delicates or non-alkaline detergent.
- Soak the fabric and gently agitate the item in the water for a minute or two. But not to scrub at it or leave it in for too long.
- Rinse carefully in cold water and remove any suds.
- Absorb excess water with a towel, if it's necessary.
- Air dry outdoors (the dry, breezy day is better) on a hanger and away from direct sunlight. *Do not wring it out, tumble dry it, or iron it. As such treatment will damage the fabric.
- Hang the garment to dry. Make sure it's completely dry before storing or folding.
- Before handling them, wash and dry your hands carefully. Better to avoid hand cream or lotion.
Brush off dust in the direction of the silk weave sometimes.
- Avoid getting the silk wet or soiled.
- Store in a place away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
Silk shirts are soft of material and they drape perfectly over your body.
Keep them good-looking for many years to come by taking care of the fabric!
Check for the best-looking Silk Kimono & Authentic Japanese Kimono Dress and Hawaiian Aloha shirts at Muumuu Outlet.
Muumuu Outlet has a store in Waikiki, inside of our sister store Fabric Hawaii.
Please visit us when you come to Honolulu!!